The standard Thanksgiving meal equates to around the calories burned in a marathon.
The standard Thanksgiving meal equates to around the calories burned in a marathon.
This is the 3rd time i’ve posted this since starting my blog but everyone needs to see it!
Really helpfull. I must buy a skipping rope!
Apparently I will never get up past 200cals with thirty minutes alone. I don’t know how to feel about that for some reason.
I’m going for a walk during lunch today. :)
Don’t ruin a salad with dressings and unhealthy toppings like bacon.
Greens: spinach, kale, arugula, endives, lettuce, cucumber.
Proteins: grilled chicken, fish, tuna, tofu.
Fats: avocado, nuts
This is hugely important! Too many people ruin their salads by drenching them in sauces, dressings, and oils. Try to flavor your salad with other vegetables, proteins, or small portions of cheese! I add feta cheese, green olives, black eyed peas, or asparagus for a little flavor.
Carbs Without Cause: 8 Foods Worse than White Bread
You know to avoid the pale sliced stuff, but what about these other processed offenders?
1. Fancy Coffee Drinks
Not only can these have as many calories as a meal, (sometimes upwards of 400) their carb count can be on par with a pre-marathon pasta binge; some have 60–80g of carbs per serving. Add in sugars, saturated fats in whipped cream, and chocolate flavorings, and you’ve got dessert in a very large plastic cup.
Bagels are a morning ritual for some, but according to Villacorta, unless you’re hitting the gym right after (and plan on staying until lunch), you may want to rethink, even if you opt for whole wheat.
“Depending on the size, I normally recommend a bagel to someone who is going on a two- to three-hour run afterwards,” he says. The reason is portion size. Many deli bagels can have 250-300 calories and more than 50g of carbs each.
3. Juice Drinks and Smoothies
Smoothie and juice spots are everywhere, and they can seem like a healthy drink to get on the go. But a 16oz fruit-heavy juice can have as many as 75g of carbohydrates and 64g of sugar (ditto for smoothies). If you can’t start the day without juice, stick to about 4oz, which has a reasonable 15-20g of carbs.
4. Cheese Crackers
If you’re going to indulge in a few processed carbs, don’t do it here. While the carb count isn’t necessarily through the roof (about 18g per serving), these orange snacks are particularly cringe inducing because there is literally no other redeeming nutritional factor. They’re full of chemicals, additives, and artificial colors, plus they may also contain high-fructose corn syrup. And don’t be fooled by organic versions. They may be filled with less artificial junk, but processed flour and high-fat cheese can still be “organic.”
5. Baked Goods at Coffee Shops
Muffins used to be a baseball-sized treat. Now they’re more like softballs, with some containing nearly 64g of carbs and more than 30g of sugar. If your morning muffin is made with processed flour, sugar, and butter, it’s really no different than a slice of cake. Stick to a two-ounce serving and choose whole grain ingredients—think bran, not lemon poppy.
6. Yogurt with Fruit on the Bottom
It’s the ultimate chick pre-workout/afternoon/late-night snack, and yogurt on its own is a great choice. Problem is, that fruit is sugar central. All yogurt contains lactose, which is a naturally occurring carbohydrate; generally in a single serving it equals about 12-15g of carbs, which is fine, but when you add the jammy fruit you can nearly double that amount. You end up with nearly 30g of carbs, half of which is the processed, quick-burning kind. Stick to the creamy (and protein-packed) Greek variety and add some cut-up fresh fruit.
7. Movie Theater Popcorn
It may seem obvious, given the size, but for many of us it’s a key part of the movie-going experience, and besides, even if you order a bag once a week, how bad can that be? According to Villacorta, very. Popcorn is already about 1,200 calories, almost all from carbohydrates (and a whopping 580mg of sodium) for a large-sized bag. That’s before you add the butter. Don’t waste an entire day’s worth carbs and calories while you mindlessly munch your way through The Hunger Games.
8. Yogurt-Covered Raisins
Essentially candy for health-food nuts, and who eats just one—or five? In fact, a scant ¼ cup contains 20g of carbs and 19g of sugar. Skip the bulk candy aisle at your health food store and pick up a small bar of dark chocolate instead. [Extracted from SHAPE.COM]
Ten Things To Do When You Feel Like Crap:
1. Have a really hot, long shower. Cry if you need to. Sit on the ground. Feel sorry for yourself. Let the steam soak into your skin. Let the hot water wash your face clean. But the moment you turn off that water, you are done feeling sorry for yourself. Make a decision to move on from that sadness.
2. Clean. I know, cleaning is boring and annoying - but how about that feeling you get when you are finished? The clean small of the vacuum? That feeling of accomplishment? Who knows, you might even find money along the way. Totally worth it. It’s like starting with a clean slate.
3. Call a friend you haven’t spoken to for a while. If your first choice doesn’t pick up, choose someone else. Ask them all about how their lives are going and tell them about yours. Not only will it take your mind off whatever crappy thing you have been plagued by, but you will laugh with them! Laughing triggers endorphins and endorphins make you happy!
4. Go for a run or a walk. This get’s your endorphins and dopamine going crazy. You will get more energy and more happiness just because the chemicals in your body are running around!
5. Stop and take it all in. Walking in the night? Stop and look at the stars. Breathe in the cold air. Feel alive.
6. Stop whining. Ever heard the saying “love life and life will love you back”? Or, the idea of the power of attraction? It’s true! If you sit around saying “why me, waaaaa waaaa” then bad things will happen to you. You’re already defeated. If you start saying, “I will be happy, I will accomplish my ambitions, I will find love, I do look amazing, I am a great friend” etc., then not only will you start to believe them but you will be amazed at what amazing things start to happen.
7. Drink tea. This always works. Not a tea fan? Try hot water with a slice of lemon and some agave syrup.
8. Make a conscious decision to stop holding certain grudges. We all have people we have held grudges on in the past. Let them go. If you feel like you owe this person an apology, don’t be too proud. Send them a sincere facebook apology. Sincerity is in the intent, so even if it’s a 2 sentence apology - as long as you mean it it’s worth it.
9. Cook some really nice, warm food. Stimulate your taste buds with anything as simple as two minute noodles or as lavish as a three course garlic bread, pasta bake, chocolate mousse triple combo.
10. Write down a list of goals to achieve for the week. As simple as “buy insect repellent” or as large as “jog for 25 minutes non stop” and tick them off when they’re done. You will feel very accomplished and that alone will help pep up your mood!
I love this, I use these things when I am feeling down and they really work!
The Tumblr Guide to Healthy Living
a compilation of resources to help you eat right, exercise, and be happy!
How to Start a Healthier Lifestyle
Eating Clean Principles
Your Flat Belly Day 1 meal plan by Women’s Health Magazine
Your Flat Belly Day 2 meal plan by Women’s Health Magazine
Your Flat Belly Day 2 Meal Plan by Women’s Health Magazine
Eating Low Carb
What is Paleo
Portion Size Guide
Get lean grocery list
80 Healthiest Foods
100 Foods that Dr.Oz wants on your Shopping List
Tips to Snack Better
10-Calorie Sweet and Crunch Snacks
Why Eat Raw Foods?
10 Commandments of Dieting
Tips for Staying Healthy in School
The Happier way to Diet Menu
Food that makes You Prettier
Look Better Naked One Week Meal Plan Part 1
Look Better Naked One Week Meal Plan Part 2
The Best New Superfoods
12 Best Foods for your Abs
Clear Skin Diet
Foods that Melt Flab Away
Raw Food for the Rest of Us
5 Ingredient Eating Clean Recipes
Herbs that Heal
What to Eat When You’re Craving…
Eating Clean vs. Junk examples
Transition to Healthy Living
Eating Clean Video
Eating Clean Recipes
Healthy Meal Ideas for Breakfast, Lunch & DinnerBefore and After Workout Snack Ideas
Super 8-Step Salad Wraps
Not-Quite-Unnecessary Raving about Broccoli Slaw
Foods that Cause Bloating
Eat Breakfast, Here’s Why
Making Conscious Health Choices: Who Decides?
Not eating enough…but not hungry either?
Sunshine Oatmeal Recipe
Oatmeal from The Pea Pod
Chocolate Oatmeal Cookie-In-A-Bowl
An Overwhelming Amount of Oatmeal Recipes
Starbucks Drinks Under 200 Calories
Healthy Dessert Blog
Grapefruit & Strawberry Popsicles (make them without alcohol)
Peanut Butter & Banana Sandwiches
Frozen Yogurt Blackberries
Skinny Coconut Cupcake
Nutella Fudge Pops
Banana Split Cheesecake Bites
Frozen Fruit Pops
Healthy Banana Almond Chocolate Ice Cream
Banana Split Cheesecake Bites
Fruit Ice Cubes
Banana Ice Cream
Frozen Yogurt Strawberries
Peanut Butter Chocolate Ice Cream
More Frozen Banana Bites
Raw Tropical Ice Cream
Cucumber Melon Popsicles
Chocolate Covered Bananas
Apple Peanut Butter Slices
Frozen Banana Popsicles
Banana Berry Soft Serve
Volume Ice Cream
Free Vegetarian Starter Kit by Peta
Making the Transition
Recipes by Peta
Shopping guide by Peta
Easy Sweet Potato Veggie Burgers with Avocado
How to Determine Your Ideal Weight
How to Overcome A Plateau
Beat a Weight Loss Plateau
Why You Aren’t Losing Weight
How to Burn Fat Fastest
5 Metabolism Boosters
How to Conquer Cravings
20 Secrets of Very Fit People
Fighting Belly Fat
How Do I Lose Weight
Thinking of Giving Up?
The 2 Minute Visualization
How to Keep Yourself Full for Longer
Lose Weight without Dieting
Flat Tummy Tips
Commit to Fit
10 Ways to Get Your Diet Back On Track
Constructing A Plan
Lift Weights to Help You Lose Weight
How to Start Running [Couch to 5k]
How to Tone Any Area of Your Body
Building Lean Muscle vs. Bulky Muscle
But I Don’t Want to Get Bulky!
Abdominal Exercises for Beginners
Running for Weight Loss
Gym Cheat Sheet
The Lazy Girl’s Guide to Interval Training
Archive of Online Work Outs
Top 30 Free YouTube Work Out Channels
100 Best Workout Songs
Insanity Workout Videos and Calender
Tone Every Inch
Top 10 Calorie Burning Cardio
More Links to Online Workouts
Victoria Secret Angel’s Workouts
30 Day Shred Printable Chart and Videos
BodyRock inspired Workouts
Yoga: The Basics and How to Get Started
77 Reasons To Do Yoga
YouTube Yoga for Beginners
YouTube Yoga Routine
YouTube by Body Part
Bye Bye Arm Jiggle
The Workout MovesLunge 101
Lean Thighs - No Lunges
Yes, You Can Yoga!
10 Ways to be Happy
How to be Confident
Gandhi’s Top 10 Fundamentals
3 Simple Rules in Life
Zen Flow Chart
You Don’t Have to Be a Size 0 to Be Beautiful
More beautiful girls
Battling Eating Disorders
The Minnesota Starvation Study
Why Starving Seems to Work
Stop the ED Hate
How Bulimia Affects Your Body
“The Binge” and Why You Should Eat When You’re Hungry
What to do After a Binge by MatchStickMolly
What is Intuitive Eating?
After a Binge
Tips to Control Binging
Help with Eating Disorders
National Eating Disorders
Dealing with Eating Disorders
National Center for Eating Disorders UK
people that have changed their lives and have lost a ton of weight!
and some more
130 lbs Lost!
a tumblr dedicated to before and afters
this is the best thing i’ve ever seen on tumblr oh my god